15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
How has your week been ? I am now over in Massachusetts with my family for Christmas, there is snow on the ground and lots of Xmas lights making the night time sparkle. Really festive. Let’s look at what the world of genealogy has to offer this past week.
Ancestry’s has another Christmas Deal on the Ancestry DNA Kit this one run through to Christmas Eve 24th December. The price is £63 plus postage. I was really pleased and continue to be very happy with my DNA results and the extra information is coming forth about my family history. See below for links to my previous posts. CLICK HERE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS SPECIAL UK OFFER. Only until 24th December 2017.
- DNA Decision – Should you? Could You? Would You? DNA for genealogy
- Ancestry DNA Test Tube for genealogy has Arrived ! What next?
- Ancestry DNA Results Have Arrived What Did They Reveal?
So what is new this week? 15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates.
This blog contains affiliate links. For more info see disclosure.
FindMyPast -15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
FindMyPast as always have their Friday release of new records, this week it is mainly USA records, but the additon of more records in the 1939 register is very welcome.
An additional 60,000+ records which had been redacted have now been released. These are names of people who have died since 1991, the work of matching names on the register with the names in the death indexes is a lengthy procedure as you can imagine. So if you have checked the register and come up against blacked out names then it is well worth another look.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire Records
- Births, marriages and death vital records taken from town records and newspapers for the time period 1706 – 1895 will be welcome to those with New England ancestors.
- Expenses of the Poor 1817-1838. These records are the equivalent of English poor law records and as such are a real glimpse into ancestors lives. Remember a lot of the early emigrants into the east coast of the USA came from the British Isles.
- Newspaper abstracts 1776 – 1800 another valuable data-set.
- I love the title of this data-set of records”Portsmouth, New England Warnings Out 1722 – 1769″ Apparently these documents are those that were issued to newcomers to pressure them to settle in another area. Just because a warning out was issued doesn’t mean that ancestors heed them and moved. Apparently they didn’t have the power to make people move, but getting such a document must have made people very unwelcome.
- Marriages. 10,000 marriages that occurred in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Jersey Wills Index 1564 – 2000
Back in the UK now, I have it on my timetable of posts to write about Channel Isle records, but not until April next year. So to keep anyone with Jersey ancestors going until then have a look at this set of records.
Great For You To Be Able To Judge For Yourself Before Committing To A Subscription. Click Here to Try.
Ancestry – 15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
Ancestry has some new records – I think they must have realised that genealogists everywhere were getting grumpy about no new records for several week, they need to feed our addiction to family history!
UK and Ireland, Obituary Index, 2004-2017
More records added to this great index. Obviously these are recent records, but useful never the less.’
UK Find A Grave + Global including Deaths at Sea Find A Grave
This and the obituary index go hand on hand really, I have found both very helpful especially for places where the parish registers aren’t online.
Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, Carnegie Music Institution Registers, 1910-1920
Nice to have some Scottish records that you don’t have to pay for each record you look at. As you can tell I am not a fan of Scotland’s People method of charging!
British Newspaper Archives – 15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
New additions and updates:-
- Sports Angus
- Hereford Journal
- Coventry Evening Telegraph
- Coventry Herald
- Aberdeen Press
- Bournemouth Daily Echo
- Bolton Evening News
- Shetland Times
- South Wales Daily News
- Waterford Chronicle
Did You Know That You Can Try Before You Buy With The British Newspaper Archives ? Click Here For Free Access
FamilySearch – 15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
Hampshire Parish Registers 1538 – 1980
New parishes added to this collection, but remember whilst you can search the indexes you can only view the images if you are at a Family History Centre.
Devon Bishops Transcripts 1558 – 1887
Great news these parish registers are indexed and you can view the images at home. Remember you need to register to use the FamilySearch website now, it is easy and free so do take 5 minutes to do this and use this super site.
Lincolnshire Parish Registers 1538 – 1990
This collection can be indexed searched at home and then to view the images you need to attend an LDS (Mormon) Family History Centre.
Surrey Parish Registers 1536 – 1992
This collection has the same restrictions as the Hampshire and Lincolnshire collections above.
The Genealogist – 15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
Nothing new from The Genealogist this week.
Summary – 15 Dec 2017 – New Genealogy Record Releases & Updates
Nothing widely exciting this week, but some good solid basic records to check out. The opening of some more 1939 Registers is welcome and I am sure lots of us will be running ancestors names through this weekend.
Happy Ancestor Hunting !
If Pinterest is of interest to you then you can Follow MadAboutGenealogy by CLICKING HERE
You can now follow MadAboutGenealogy on Google Plus by CLICKING HERE