What a great find this website is, well it would be if I had any ancestors in West Sussex! I lived in Horsham in Sussex many years ago, but didn’t have to apply for a payment from the poor box so really have no reason to think it will be of use to me in my research!
However I can appreciate the work that went into create this database and how invaluable it is to those with ancestors from West Sussex. The database covers the period 1635 – 1835 and give access to the poor law records in this database as follows:
- Search gives Poor Law Record lists against Surname, Forename, Year and Parish parameters
- Surnames gives alphabetic surname listing of all those people listed in the Poor Law Records
- Parishes gives a listing of all those parishes whose Poor Law Records are included in this database
- Order Types gives a listing of all the many different types of Poor Law Records
- Years gives a listing of all the years for which there are Poor Law Records
The database is the work of the Sussex Record Society and they are to be congratulated on it.