A project to digitise and place online historic newspaper collection.
This extract from the front page of the web site says it all…..
On December 11th, 1858, in the midst of a gold rush, a man with the improbable name Amor de Cosmos inked up an old hand press and launched a newspaper — the British Colonist — into the world. Published in Victoria, it became the leading paper in the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Columbia, and was the paper for the province of British Columbia until the emergence of Vancouver and competitors in the 1890s.
Papers Past website for New Zealand historic newspapers. Excellent site
Explore two million pages of 19th century newspapers
- Search 49 local and national titles using keywords
- See your search terms in context
- View complete articles from the Penny Illustrated Paper and The Graphic free of charge
- OR buy a 24-hour pass for £6.99 allowing you to view up to 100 articles, or a seven-day pass with 200 article views for £9.99
- OR access the whole site free if you are a member of a subscribing institution